Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a program created by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in 1969 to provide FREE tax return preparation to low-income individuals and families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.
- To help families keep more of their tax dollars
- To help families become more financially stable
- To be a gateway to other income support or asset building services
- To ensure that all credits/benefits are received
- To alert the community about choosing a tax preparer wisely
Learn more about the VITA Program http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers.
Students in VITA
Students in VITA is an organization at UC Davis that recruits and prepares volunteers to be a part of VITA. We offer training workshops and assistance to help volunteers become certified tax preparers. Our VITA sites are all located in Davis, California.
- Students will be preparing tax returns for community members
- Introducing people to financial literacy topics
- Gathering people with skills in project leadership, marketing, and translating to help the program run smoothly.
- All Volunteers go through an application & interview selection process.
- All Volunteers are required to pass the basic certification exam with IRS.
- Each Volunteer is required to fulfill 40 hours of service for internship credit.